Information for Year One parents and carers
- Teachers – Mrs Winyard, Miss Hindmarsh and Miss Lowe
- Teaching Assistants – Mrs Guy, Mr Tillyer, Miss Ivers, Miss Wells and Miss Fuller
- 1AW have games on Wednesdays and should come into school wearing their outdoor Kit, and PE on Fridays where children will get changed at school.
- 1LH have PE on Wednesdays and should come into school wearing their indoor Kit and games on Fridays where children will get changed at school.
- 1RL have games on Wednesday and PE on Thursday. On Thursdays, children in 1RL will need to wear their kit to school and bring their school uniform in their PE bags.
- Please ensure your child has a complete and labelled P.E. kit in school for each lesson.
- Children will continue to have Spanish lessons, Computing and year group singing lessons weekly
Our English lessons will follow the ‘talk4writing’ format. This means we will spend some time immersing children in the story to help them internalise the text structure before focusing on writing skills linked to the text. Our first text is Peter Pan; later in the term we will move on to some poetry.
In maths, we will be developing our number skills including counting on and back, addition and doubling. Later in the term we will move on to recognising 2D shapes and their properties.
Our science theme is ‘Brilliant Bodies’ and we will learn to identify and name lots of parts of our bodies. We will also identify and use our senses. Science is taught through mainly practical lessons so we will have lots of opportunities to use our senses and learn about them. We will also cover seasons throughout the year along with discussions about the weather.
Our art lessons are linked to learning about ourselves. We will be looking at ourselves in the mirror, looking closely at photographs, sketching and shading.
We are doing lots of work to recognise our emotions and will continue to use the paper cups to identify how we feel each morning. Class teachers will then carry out circle times in class to support children to identify their feelings and know strategies to manage their feelings.
Our theme this term is ‘Time Travelling Toys’, where we will explore how toys have changed over time to develop our understanding of history. We will look at our own toys and compare them to our parents’ toys as well as toys we have borrowed from the museum.
Each child will be sent home with a list of words, starting with the first 100 high frequency words. As a result of the methods that we are using, we would like to work in partnership with parents to decide when children can read and spell the key words that have been sent home for the children to practise. Please identify when they can read the word on sight, without sounding it out and without help and allow them to colour in the word. Children should then be able to spell that word. When they have coloured in all the words, please can they hand the sheet to an adult to exchange it for a new set of words.
We have read with each child and have given them a colour band book and a phonics book to read at home with you. Each Thursday, books will be changed under guidance of your child’s phonics teacher. We have provided a reading record for you to let us know how your child is getting on with the books given. Please ensure your child has their reading books in their bags each Thursday, along with their reading record, so that we can ensure they are changed each week.
Lunches - healthy packed lunches/healthy snacks at break/water
- Healthy lunch policy
- No juice in water bottles
- No nut products – allergies
- KS1 – universal free school meals
Helping at home
Please see the separate document
Harvest Festival – Thursday 19th October 2017
Christmas Play - Tuesday 19th December
1AW class assembly – Friday 19th January 2018
1LH class assembly – Friday 25th May 2018
1RL class assembly – Friday 23rd March 2018
Grandparents open afternoon – Wednesday 27th June 2018
- Autumn/Winter uniform (please go to office for list or see website)
- Grey/navy socks
- Grey/navy outdoor coat
- No jewellery (except small studs), nail varnish, large head bands
- Book bags – named and with only 1 small key ring please
- All uniform labelled please
- Home School Organisers to be handed to an adult in the morning when an adult needs to read it.
- Reading Record Books
- Show and Tell
- Phone call and Emails
- School bulletin/Parentmail/Website
- Newsletters from Year 1
Pupil Premium - benefits and how to apply
An application form can be obtained from the office or speak to Sarah Jones for a list of criteria which is based on individual families’ financial circumstances.